Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

#TraditionalCADsucks

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    CNC computer died just now... had to make a mad dash and get them up and running.
    lucky for me I was half way through setting them up a hand-me-down. All I needed to do was install MasterCam. 

Looked through the server closet and found the latest version on the shelf. Got all the way through the install and update. Went to start it up and got this

:FacePalm:

I tried getting them to try mecsoft visual cam for Onshape, but they kept blowing off the salesman. Their loss. Licences fall out of my responsibility. Good luck y'all
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I just downloaded 2+Gb and spent like an hour to install Omron cx-one logic controller with bunch of prerequisites to some old laptop. After I spent days to hunt that installation package that they took away from web since it was old version and had security vulnerabilities..
    Not to mention first install failed in the very end since windows had some unfinished updates requesting system restart. 
    All I needed to do was to quickly tweak some timers. 

It's not cad but all other traditional software sucks too..
    //rami
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    edited April 2019
    I'm just going to go ahead and leave this here: https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/120-cad-hassles-you-should-never-have-to-deal-with

Great post, @NeilCooke!
    Might lose some "friends" over this post on LinkedIn :wink:

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited April 2019
     :D@NeilCooke
    :+1:

How long did it take you to bump into all these errors, must be at least like a week or so =)=)
    //rami
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 PRO
    Not sure what it is doing. I am doing a lot of waiting while it is busy running commands. be good if I could get on with my work!

here is another one, at least I know what it is doing, be good if I did not have to hit save all the time!

You know, we've given SW over $40,000 over the years, You think they would be able to at least tell me which file reference was bad?

Everything in black was already opening fine, so no issues there, everything in green I took the time to browse and double click, so I know they are there also... Well, that was a huge waste of fricken time...

God I hate linking file based references...
    I wish SW was as easy as Onshape sometimes... Right click, copy document, done

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Anxiety producing e-mail...

www.accuratepattern.com
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's quite the contrast to how I keep refreshing the Onshape forums every three weeks to see what new features we'll be getting. 
    8 Easy to follow steps to ensure you "Could avoid" these crippling issues (Per user/computer)
    LOL

Meanwhile at Onshape HQ: "Hey everyone, new improvements have been added, here they are and how to use them! Enjoy"
    CNC computer died just now... had to make a mad dash and get them up and running.
    lucky for me I was half way through setting them up a hand-me-down. All I needed to do was install MasterCam. 

Looked through the server closet and found the latest version on the shelf. Got all the way through the install and update. Went to start it up and got this

I tried getting them to try mecsoft visual cam for Onshape, but they kept blowing off the salesman. Their loss. Licences fall out of my responsibility. Good luck y'all
    It's been over 3 weeks since I've tried putting eDrawings viewer on their machine.  But SW wants an email to spam, so they won't let you open eDrawings until you register an email, and using an email more than once usually fails. Well F-U SW, I've used every email in the company now for your free app, and they still need to be able to view a model once in a while...

But they have no issue spamming the hell out of  the email I attempted to register...

Solidworks is now a phishing company I guess.. What a shady company they have become.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO

Hey you can get messages that look just like that in Onshape:-
    They're very easy to get rid of though, all you have to do is pay an additional $1000 a year for something that's included free of charge within the $250 a year subscription in that other Orange-ish CAD-ish software.  Grrr.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited April 2019

Hey you can get messages that look just like that in Onshape:-
    They're very easy to get rid of though, all you have to do is pay an additional $1000 a year for something that's included free of charge within the $250 a year subscription in that other Orange-ish CAD-ish software.  Grrr.

Owen S.
    But the difference is: Our subscription IS paid plus an additional annual maintenance fee... but we couldn't access it until we called the local Rep, had them give us a new key for the dongle. Install newer software for the dongle on the server (after a tech support walk through we found out we had to also update the dongle software on the server to accept the new hasp licence, and uninstall all traces of the old software because the new hasp software wasn't taking control of the hasp service)

With the app store. If your sub is paid, you are working.  ;)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Wow that sounds painful, I commend your fortitude.  I think I would have microwaved that dongle and asked for another one.!!  I remember having to find a PC with a parallel port so we could use a damn dongle, I thought they were dead in 2019.  Did it require talking to in Latin?

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    It wasn't the dongle, it was the hasp software. being a security app. I assume it had something to do with some security hole being shut in the new version, making newer versions of the licence not compatible.

And thankfully the guy on the phone was a native English speaker :) no Latin required this time :wink:
    edited April 2019
    Can't edit any dimension now.. lol

edit:
    Oh common, 

Well it got stuck, guess all i can do is alt+f4 because i can't even save what i have on the other open documents...
    This is what i get for trying to add one more configuration to a design table..

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    It's interesting how fast we forget the SW mantra "save often" especially coming from OS. 

What a backwards world they work in.

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    I can't use SolidWorks 2018 on my laptop, because my Desktop thinks I have 2019 installed on it, and wanted me to Transfer the license from the Newer Version (but I uninstalled 2019 on that machine, and rebooted etc)...but I can't transfer the license because I can't open 2019 to run the Transfer tool from there!

Now I'm waiting for some time to Remote Desktop back to my Workstation to try to sort it out and Deactivate the license on that machine....meanwhile, I'll keep motoring in OS while on the road.
    How does it figure? Its a 64 bit program, only using 2gigs of memory.

grumble, grumble...

edited May 2019
    Looks like SW broke the ability to multitask too...

I was trying to work on two assemblies (separate instances of SW) While one was saving (takes a minute or so) I was gonna switch over and tweak views on a different job. (used to do this before)

Now with the icon showing an hour glass it blocks access to all other open windows, which means I have to wait for these long commands to finish before I can work on any other SW process...

How I miss "Open in new browser tab" right about now...

EDIT: Never mind, I was trying alt+tab and was getting no response, but I tried again and this time it let me alt+tab. Could have been wrong keystroke or some kind of glitch :s
    Feel sorry for anyone who doesn't know keyboard shortcuts..

Oh SW... some days I just don't know about you anymore...

I have to manually constrain sketches on the part sometimes to get that obvious result.. :rolls eyes:

• homebrewdesignhomebrewdesign Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    My company decided to not renew our Onshape subscription so I've been back to using SW for the past 2 weeks. On average I have had to redo about 15 minutes of work for every 1 hour I have spent in it because of crashes. Seemingly simple things like placing a note, rotating a view, or selecting a face to begin mating parts have resulted in crashes. I've never been so frustrated. I had some hiccups with Onshape early on, but every issue I came across was fixed with the next patch. The issues I have with SW have been there for as long as I've been using it.
    I feel your pain @homebrewdesign sorry they dropped your sub :(

• homebrewdesignhomebrewdesign Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I don't think I'm going to be here much longer, so hopefully it's just temporary pain. Of course I'll probably have to convince my next employer to give Onshape a shot. I've interviewed with 2 companies recently, but both are still using AutoCAD. So we'll see how that goes.
    Good luck with that :)

If they are in acad, there is a good chance if they want to move to 3D, it may be easier to convince them to try Onshape. Because they may not have been tainted by the bad habbits of SW and Inventor 
    I had a little chat with my manager today, while reviewing a design choice in a model.

He was showing genuine interest in how to model and navigate Onshape, after I split a weldment up into two bolt together weldments by just making a tap plate and a boolean subtract. He liked that, and I could tell it finialy clicked, why I say Onshape is more intuitive to model in.

Then he tried to say how it is still more confusing to find a part. I asked him why he thinks it is any harder than SW.
    He opens windows explorer and says you can't just browse all the parts or search by part number like you can here.

I said, sure you can. Then I opened a new Onshape tab and typed in a part number and showed him how quick it was.
    Then I said, lets take it a step further. Then I set the filter to search for anything with a "black" finish.
    Half a second later there was a list of every part I have ever painted black while using Onshape.

Or how about any part that has ever appeared on sheet 2 of a drawing package...

Do that with windows search... Drop the mic
    Oh yea, I always forget about that :)